Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Watermelons and cantaloupes production

The real heat is just here, the next 3 months are the hottest of all year and my charm with green beans ran out of luck, it's simply too hot to even try it, green beans are to be sowed early in the spring for a late spring or very early summer harvest and again sow in the late summer for a fall harvest. The tomatoes are holding, but some kind of blight showed up in them, I got lots of cherry and yellow pear tomatoes already, although tomatoes as I saw in the season are better to sow in regular soil and not in boxes as in my square ft garden, next year I'll sow them in the regular garden, my neighbor did that and he got lots of romas and beefsteaks. I just got one big boy tomato fruit and it was very small, I guess that happens when you try to grow them in containers.

Today inspecting my carolina cross watermelon, fordhook watermelon and my ambrosia cantaloupe I realized some flowers pollinated and got pregnant which in turn means little fruits are starting to grow!. Hopefully all of them will develop in big fruits so they become food of this blog writer. Yum!.

Carolina cross watermelon vine.
Carolina cross fruit developing.


Ambrosia cantaloupe vine.

Ambrosia cantaloupe fruit.




No comments:

Post a Comment