Sunday, July 25, 2010

Natural events and germination of my first plants-1st part

One day after sowing my first vegetables seeds, the very next day we got an afternoon thunderstorm with intense heavy, but short rain. I filled a bucket of rainwater so my plants taste heaven latter on the week once again). My garden soil got plenty of cloud H2O.(Saturday, July 17).

After coming back from grocery shopping at 1:30PM, another short heavy rain came out of nowhere. It seems I can't stop watching the local weather forecast for one day because you distract a little bit a boom!, there you have more rain!.(Sunday, July 18).

Yesterday and today the sun didn't shine all day, sporadic showers and thunderstorms were observed last days. My radishes are going strong, almost all of them are already tiny, little plants; but my beets are worrying me because only 5 from 16 already germinated. The bush green beans too are on a snail pace, it's been only less than 4 days since I sow my seeds, but I guess it's not that bad.(Monday, July 19).

Muggy, splashes of rain, it comes suddenly, it goes away same way. The good thing is I don't need to water my plants. My first green beans are sprout.(Thursday, July 22).

Weather has been hot, sometimes for hours cloudy and sometimes with minutes of rain.

Of all the green beans plants I buried in the soil, only 33% germinated, that's a bad ratio, but I readed green beans need not much water after been been buried in soil and maybe it is because of the rain we had here the next several days, but who knows, after all I'm just a vegetable garden rookie in the process of gaining experience.

So because the other 66% of my green beans didn't germinate, today I filled some of those empty spaces in my garden with swiss chard, there was not other option but swiss chard because of the high temperatures right now.

Today I sowed tomatoes indoors, that is because tomato seeds can't be buried directly into soil(they do not germinate), so I filled a cup with vermiculite and water and buried the seeds there. After 2 weeks I'll move the plants to my garden, where they will develop hopefully in happy and productive adults

You know here in Texas, because of the short spring and high temperatures, most tomatoes stop bearing fruit with high heat and there are only few tomato plants(specially indeterminate) able to keep producing even in high 90's and even above 100's Fahrenheit. Those are some cherry tomato plants and some hybrids and my super sweet 100 hybrid cherry tomato plants are easy and fool proof for a beginner like me, at least that's what I got informed, so until my tomatoes and my swiss chard keep growing, I'll keep writing more about their development.


Tomato seeds in vermiculite



No comments:

Post a Comment